Warning:This is a very long post and mostly for my benefit.
Can I just vent for a minute....no it is not about my husband, it is not about my kids, it is not even about my job....it is about my Mortgage Company-Green Point Mortgage. When we bought this house, we were so excited! We got a good rate, it was our first home, and we knew we could make the payments. And as luck would have it Ket got a promotion...we were set. Then four months later everything went to disaster. We were suppose to have a fixed 5.75% interest rate. Well it jumped to a 7.75% We went from a $500 something payment to a $779 a month payment. That was just the first loan. I fought it, I called everyone that I could talk to about it...told them that it was suppose to be fixed. No one believed me and said I would have to refinance because it was just an introductory rate. WHAT! I even had them send me the paper that said that it was not a fixed rate...nothing on it said that. Have you ever seen how many papers you have to initial and sign when you buy a house?! It is like a four hundred page document...so in the end I just thought I got screwed. I let it go.
So in September, I started getting letters that we owed $17000 in payments and that we had not made a payment since 2005. I was a little shocked to say the least...I called right away. The first time that I called they could not tell me what was going on...said they were making adjustment to my account. Said to call back when customer service was open the next day, that being on Monday before 4. So what I found out on Monday was that they had put in a wrong processing code in to our account and back in September 2005 the interest rate was not suppose to go up. It was fixed! WOW...they found it by doing an internal audit, someone found the mistake. They were in the process of going though all the payments that were made between September of 05-September of 07. At that time I asked if I should still make a payment for October (because it was so close to the end of September) and they said yes of course. So I sent in my payment on the first as usual.I disregarded the continual letters that said I was 12000-17000 late in payments. On the 7th of October my payment was returned to me, with a note from the bank saying that it had be rejected. On the 8th I called Green Point Mortgage and talked again to the Supervisor in Customer service and he said that they were still auditing the account and that I would be notified when it was done, and how much my payment was. I also wanted to know how much the "extra" amount was that I had paid. No such luck on that one.
A couple of days later I received a letter in the mail saying everything that I already knew, and the amount which came out to almost 4000 dollars. Over a two year period that is about 160 a month more then what I should have been paying. Now that I look back on it, it felt like a lot more. Anyway they said that they were going to apply it to the principle in one lump sum. I called right away and told them that they could not just apply it in one lump sum...that they had to go back though the months and apply it every single month for the last two years. For example...if they applied 160 to September of 05 then that would make my principle amount lower and in return it would lower my payment because there would not be as much money to charge interest to. Right...so the next month they do it again, add the 160 dollars to the principle and it would lower my payment for the next month. Well over time my payment would not be 500 something, it would be lower...meaning that they would owe me more then just the 4000 dollars. I think that is only fair. We as a family have scarped by for two years because they messed up on my mortgage amount. Either that, or cut me a check for the amount and add interest to it.
Maybe I should just be grateful that the mistake was found...Maybe I should just count my blessing that we decide not to sell the house about four months ago...because if we did, we would have lost all that money. Why would they audit a closed account? Maybe I should just dropp it and not worry about it any longer!
Well now, in fact just this last week...I have been getting calls from the collection part of the company saying that I have not paid for October....WHAT, if I could say a swear word right now!!!! On the 18th I returned such a call, (because they just stated that they were calling) and they dropped this new bomb shell on me. Now we have late fees and ect, ect, I told that person everything that I knew, then was transferred to customer service. They wanted to take money out of my principle...yes the 4000 dollars to satisfy the account. I DON'T THINK SO! That is my money, they returned my payment on the first...they had not sent me a bill with the adjusted amount on it...I told them that I did not want to do that and that they had no right to that money! I was on the road and my phone was dying so I told them I would call them back on Friday.
I called back today...(because I forgot my cell phone charger) and guess what, I am still in collections! I could not believe my ears. I was on the phone for 45 minutes with three different people. I had to explain the situation to each of them, then they had to read though all the notes, in the mean time I am telling them that if they can not help me please just get me to a supervisor so that I am not wasting my time. Finally a supervisor Dana (I think that is her name, some times you can not even understand them because the English language is not their first language and you have to keep asking them to repeat what is being said!) and I had to walk her though how I wanted the amount applied. She finally said that I would have to talk to the audit department. So she transferred me, and they were closed.(Surprise, Surprise) I left a long message, about ten minutes....and I really don't expect a call back.
The last straw that brings me to this point is that at 8:35pm I get a call from Green Point collection department...they want to know why I have not paid. I was so MAD....I spent about 20 minutes talking to the lady on the phone (who spoke perfect English) and she confirmed that I had requested that no payment be made from the principle amount....and everything else that I have already stated. As far as she could see my account would be in the clear as of tomorrow morning. They went ahead and took money out of my principle to pay the mortgage!! I was even madder by the time I got of the phone with her. I was shaking.
To make matters worse with this company...this is not the fist time they have made a mistake on our account. About a year ago, they sent me a notice that our property taxes were short for the year. In fact they were two hundred dollars short each month. I about blew up...After about a week on the phone to a supervisor I got someone to take a look at it and they realized that that took the taxes form some house in AZ that was worth 600,000. (we had already made one payment). So they had to cut us a check for the extra amount. They did that this time to. We have been paying about $30 dollars to much each month and someone said that we would be getting a check for the extra amount. Have not received it yet...that was on the eighth of this month that I was told that.
Well I feel better now that I have it all down. I am glad that we have our house, but not happy about all the head ache that goes with it right now. I will be glad when we are done with Green Point Mortgage company and can refi.
9 comments:
wow! nobody should have to go through that much misery to buy a home! I say document, document, document EVERYTHING!!!!! You have been messed with, and abused. Heed my words, you need times, and dates and names when you go to battle with big Corporate Morgage
companies
HOLY CRAP nicole, I read therw evyething, and I can't believe all that has happened. I agree with mom, good luck, and hopefully this kinda crap never happenes again.
Ya, that really sucks. :( I am sorry. You are really smart though-you know what you are talking about, and I don't really understand anything about buying a house, mortgages, refinancing, etc. :)
Thanks Krys- I am sure one day you will know a lot about it all, only if you want to! I really don't want to have to know all this stuff, but when you are getting walked all over, then you have to stand up and fight for what is yours right!?
Oh my... I have to tell you. Jeremy and I are through Counrtywide and they totally messed things up for us too. Luckily they did finially find the mistake they had made and after a few months and HOURS on the phone it has all been taken care of. I am really sorry you had go through that. Dealing with that kind of stress is no fun!
I am so sorry that you are getting such a bad time. Stick to your guns and get your money back somehow!
Nicole....this sucks! I feel so bad for you. I think the main key is to document everything & not get off the phone until it is taken care of. You might have to take your business somewhere else. We've been in similar situations & I know how frustrating it can all be. Hope it all works out for you. Take care.
Hey! I want to see your costumes from trunk or treat! So I haven't sewed anything since our class in Hawaii...but I did sew the kids' costumes. I actually had to remember some of the tricks she taught us! It was fun. PS- I love your new song...it brings back so many childhood memories for me! Take care. Talk to you soon!
Post a Comment