Sunday, August 17

Birth Story...

So I need to write this down before I forget it.


It started Wednesday morning, we went into the hospital to check in and get started on Pit at 5am. I met my nurse and found that she was very slow at everything that she was doing. It took her until almost 6:30am to even get me hooked up and started. I was very annoyed. I was only at a 2 1/2cm at this time. That was the same as last week. But finally I was started. The Doctor came in and broke my water a little before 8am. Up until this point I was pretty relaxed, able to lay down and even catch a little bit of sleep. But then the contraction came on heavy. Not really fast, about every five minutes. I remember with the others, they were right on top of each other. With these I was able to breath before the next one came. At about 9:00am I was checked and I was a 3. What, very disappointing!


I tried a couple of different positions, I was having back labor big time. But the best position was when they droped the bed and I was in a sitting position. At about 9:30 they checked me again and I was at a 6cm. Well that was a little better. At this point Ket said that If I wanted an epidural then I better get it now or it was going to be to late. I decided not to get one, but that he had to talk to me and walk me through each contractions. I had decided to go without an epidural this time. It seemed to me that every time I got one, it didn't have a chance to kick in. So why not go without one. So I went on... Ket would message my back and talk me though the contractions. At about 10am I told Ket he had to turn off the tv now. I need him full time!


At about 10:35am I told them that I wanted an epidural, that it was getting to hard...so the nurse check me...(a different one, she was much better. In fact I liked her a lot!) and I was at a 9cm. She called the doctor and he was just across the street, so he RAN over ( I mean really RAN). When he got to the room he was out of breath. I told him I was sorry he had to run over, but that I was ready to push. So ready or not, here came the baby. He got dressed and I started pushing. Two long pushes later, at 10:51am JAREN was born. Weighing in at 8pounds 2 ounces and 19 and 3/4 long. I was so glad to have him out.


I just have to say...all those times that I thought the epidural didn't work, Well it did! Or it did its job. With Kasen I was able to slow down and not be in such a rush. With Jaren, I could not get him out fast enough! Ket even had to remind me to breath, he said my face was turning purple. I have a new knowledge to what a Ring of Fire is. And then poor Jaren, he was so bruised up by coming down and out so fast. And when he did come out, he came out peeing. I think that is kinda funny.


The best part of not having an epidural is that I have really felt good. I have recovered faster then any other baby. The biggest problem that I have seen is that my muscles have been very sore in my back. I feel like they are bruised. Would I do it again....go natural.... Yes, I think I would do it again. The healing has been so much better and faster. It helps that I didn't tear or need to be cut either. Wow I can not believe I am writing about this...It just seems like I was going though it just minutes ago. About ten minutes before I Jaren was born, Ket took a picture of me to remind me of how I looked so I would not forget. This was taken in between contractions. I wanted to shot him! Enjoy.

7 comments:

Melina Ficek said...

CONGRATS!! I am so excited for you and your family!! I had all of my kids natural and I love it!! I think it is such an empowering feeling to do that without drugs. He is beautiful Nicole, Good JOB!!

(Nicole) The Very Hungry Caterpillar said...

Nicole, I didn't know you did it natural. that is amazing. He is sure beautiful I am so happy for you and your family!

Krystal said...

I also had a much better time recovering when I did it naturally-so I will probably do the next one natural as well. You look pretty dang good in that picture between contractions!! (I'm whistling right now..)

JoAnna Anderson said...

You really are an amazing person Nicole! Congratualtions on such a beautfiul baby. We are so happy for you....what a darling family that just keeps on growing! Take care.

steph said...

Nicole - Your baby is adorable! I love how empowered I feel after delivering naturally... you go girl! I will see ya tomorrow eve!

Stephanie said...

Congrats Nicole! Glad to hear that you had a great delivery and that your little guy is healthy and well. I'm glad to hear you found so much satisfaction in doing it without the drugs. Either way, you did a great job! (This coming from a homebirth girl). :) Thanks for sharing your story!

Cristi said...

You are so brave to go all natural!