Monday, September 1

Sometimes I Forget...

Sometimes I forget how lucky I am....
Sometimes I forget what a wonderful life I really have....
Sometimes I forget what beautiful children I have....
Sometimes I forget that I am married to an Asian American...
Sometimes I forget that I am a women....
Sometimes I forget that I don't look like my kids....
Sometimes I forget that they have a different skin complexion then I do....
Sometimes I forget that I can not protect them from every bad experience out there....
Sometimes I forget that I am white....
Sometimes I forget that others can do what they want and I can not change what they think....
Sometimes I forget that everyone is human and human nature is not always shown at its best....

And then something happens that reminds me of all those things, it puts life back into focus for those brief moments. Lets take tonight for example.... Ket, Ritavey, (Ket's brother who is now going to live with us for about a year or so) the four kids and I all go to Target to get some things. We are there walking around, and get our stuff and then head to the hotel to get the Car. I am sitting in the back seat with Kassia and Jesiah and I notice this car that keeps pulling up along side us and then backing way off...so I start to watch to see if they are drunk and hoping they will not hit us. But that is not what is going on, as I watch they pull up along side of our car again and lean out the window and look at Ket and Ritavey, and start making racial gestures towards Ket (us). Then they back way off and a couple minutes later they do it again. I am dumbfounded. I don't know what to think.... I have never experienced this kind of harassment before. There is about three or four boys in the car taking turns doing this. My kids have no idea what is going on until I say something... "What the heck to they think they are doing? Who do they think they are, I mean we are in a minivan and what are they getting from this?" I was getting more and more mad, because of my kids in the car. We stopped at a light and they pulled up right along beside us and continued to do the same kind of stuff. Ket asked if he should roll down his window and talk (yea right) to them. I don't even have time to respond when the light tuns green and we take off. Who can go the fastest is the game now. The minivan wins and Ket leans out the window and laughs at them. "Ha, they got burned by a Minivan!" is what he taunts. I say something like that has never happened to me before, and Ket and Ritavey both say it happens all the time. WHAT where have I been. Is this just because they could not see me, I was in the back?

I know I have had my fair share of looks, questions and what not when I am out with the kids or Ket. People stare the most when I am out with Ket and I get the most questions when I am with the kids. Things like...

what beautiful children...are they yours?
yes.
Where are they from?
Boise.
Oh, well where is their dad from?
California, oh, did you want to know what they are mixed with? Their dad is Laotian.
Where is that?
Next to Thailand and Vietnam.
Oh, ok, that explains it! Well they are beautiful children!
Thanks.


I know people are just wondering, and so that doesn't brother me...it is people like tonight that really bother me. What they were doing was wrong. And it was wrong of Ket to react they way he did.... But who am I to judge how he should have handled it. I don't deal with that all the time. He does. I would have wanted to pull those boys over, explained to them that not every Asian that they encounter is Chinese. That would be like me saying that every white person with a big nose is from Germany, or all the blond hair blued eye people are from Norway....I mean do you understand where I am coming from. I guess in a perfect society i could have done that.... but that is the trick, I would not have needed to do that in a perfect society.

My bad... I forgot that we still live in Idaho where people have a hard time accepting others that are not the same as they are... so what to do.... Nothing except continue to teach my children to be more tolerant of others no mater what they look like on the outside.

So it is moments like these that remind me of the special things in life that are good...
Today I will rejoice in how lucky I am....
Today I will rejoice in the wonderful life I really have....
Today I will rejoice in what beautiful children I have...
Today I will rejoice that I am married to an Asian American...
Today I will rejoice that I am a women....
Today I will rejoice that I don't look like my kids....
Today I will rejoice that they have a different skin complexion then I do....
Today I will rejoice that I can not protect them from every bad experience out there...
Today I will rejoice that I am white....
Today I will rejoice that others can do what they want and I can not change what they think....
Today I will rejoice that everyone is human and human nature is not always shown at its best....

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! Nicole, you are awesome!!! Your kids are so lucky that they have you as a mother. They will learn so much from you. It really surprises me that people are still like that. Anyhow, I love you and your beautiful family. Thanks for everything!!!

Cameron. Elizabeth. Greta. Austin. said...

I'm sorry that had to happen to you. I don't know how I would explain that stuff to my children. I'm sure my sister-in-law has to go through the same problems with her children. Her ex-husband got a job once in Idaho, but they decided not to move there because they were afraid that they wouldn't be as accepted there as a mixed couple. My cousin lives in Boise, actually, and her children are half black. I haven't heard of any bad stories though.

tutu with love said...

I love you and Ket and all my grand
children. I am so sad that these children of some other family has not been taught the true values of all Children of God. It is a sad, heart braking situation you described.

I thank Heavenly Father that you are able to rise above such bias and teach your children the true Love of Christ.

Please know that I can only guess at your heartach, as I have never wittnessed this kind of hate.

Becca & Joel said...

Oh, Nicole... I'm so sorry you had to deal with that. Just think how embarrassed their mothers must be (I hope they would be embarrassed, and not supportive of their behavior!) Really makes me miss BYUH and the diversity we were lucky to celebrate in daily!

Amanda B. said...

Wow Nicole- what a frustrating experience. I have never understood racial prejudice. I admire the way you wrote about it though. I thought it was very moving.

Glad to hear that your recovery is going well. I'll confess that I can't relate to your desire to resume your normal duties so quickly. I am definitely a stay-in-my-pajamas-for-6-weeks-and-beg-for-some-help- kind of postpartum mom. :)

Dana and ohana said...

you handle yourself so well! I so would have pulled them over and let them have a HUGE piece of my mind. You are the best!

Amy said...

That is a beautiful post! I am the daughter of a ratially mixed marriage, but I look completely white. I often am surprised when people let their true colors show and make negative racial comments about latinos in front of me not knowing that they just insulted me and my family members. Most times I let it go trying to hide a look of anger and chalk it up to complete ignorance and idiocy.
I am sorry you had to experience something like that, but I think your post is beautiful.

Fritters said...

Nicole, you are a beacon of love! I'm sorry you encountered such raw ignorance. You have made it into someting beautiful though by turning it over to such wonderful thoughts. We are all so blessed. It's just too bad all places can't be so wonderfully culturally diverse as BYUH! Miss you guys... and those dilicious spring rolls Ket makes! YUM!

the blonde potato said...

Well said, Nicole. Its unfortunate that some people are so ignorant. I guess I get in my own little world and think that things like that don't happen anymore, or at least not here. Good thing you are such an example for your kids.

jaY said...

If that was me, I think I would have broken 4 noses. Good thing u got Ket...errr or i mean good thing Ket got u! Hope to c u guys soon.

Sarah said...

first of all, congrats on the new member! Wow I can't imagine myself with 2 kids let alone 4! I admire you! And yes Jay is right, he would've no doubt got out of the car, walked up to theirs and opened their door, grabbed them and pulled them out of the car and punched them all. He really would have and I then I would've been so mad at him! anywho good to hear ket handled it maturely. impressive! :D

Cristi said...

I think you guys are a shining example to some of the weirdos who are afraid of people who are different.