Wednesday, June 15

Devon Ketsavahn

The newest member of our family officially came into this world June 2nd, at 10:39am. He weighted a whopping 9lbs 2ozs, was 22 and 1/4 inches long. We were all surprised at how big this little guy was. I was a week early too. I can not even imagine if I had gone all the way to my due date... he would have been even bigger. I was due on the 8th of June but decide to have him one week early. So starting at 7:00am Ket and I went to the hospital and checked myself in. Around 7:40am Dr. Lowder came and broke my water, and I was started on pit. I was already dilated to a 3, 75% effaced and a -1 (which means he was dropping down into position) Things went fast as they always d0. About an hour in half into the contractions, there were becoming really hard. I was starting to get the birthing shakes, and there seemed to be no position that was working for me. I had tried the birthing ball, on my hands and knees on the bed, and laying on a ball on the bed.
I had a wonderful Nurse, she had delivered with Lowder many times and seemed to know how he did things. Her name was Sunny. She was there setting everything up for the birth and encouraging me along the way. She kept me trying new positions and told me how fast it was going. I think she only left the room for like 15minutes in the very beginning, and then was right there with me the rest of the time. At 9:30ish she checked me to see how far I was, a 5. Man, I was so upset. Things were getting really hard, and I knew I didn't want an epidural. Luckily Dr. Lowder had told me about something that was newer, it was a shot in my back with pain meds that caused a block on the right area. The downside, it only lasts 2 hours, the good thing, it took affect right away. Because I was only at a 5, I decide to go ahead and get that. I knew I would be done within 2 hours.
It took about 30 minutes for the anaesthesiologist to come in, and give me the shot (in between contractions). The hardest part was curling up into a ball and holding really still. But as soon as he did it, I could feel my legs start to get tingling, and then the next contraction, I could feel but it was not so intense. RELIEF!!! For the next five contractions, I just concentrated on breathing, and then I felt it was time to push. Sunny checked me and then called Dr. Lowder. 10 minutes later he was there and I was ready. It felt so good to push. Three contractions later and his head came out. Then I had to push out his body. I was surprised that it was hard to push out his body too.
The first thing Ket said was, "Wow he is a big boy" and then I saw him and didn't think he looked that big... But he was. I guess that is what happens when I gain 40+ pounds. :)
They put him on me and my heart melted. Wow, so wonderful. I am always amazed at how close I feel to his little spirit right then.
I was feeling good, they took him and cleaned him up a little and then because he was so big had to do sugar level test on him... They want it to come back above the 50's and he didn't. This started a whole 18 hours of taking his blood from his foot, and checking his sugar level every hour... It was until about 4am the he finally passed all the tests. Talk about stressful for me and my little guy.
The kids came to visit us in the hospital and it was so cute... they all loved on him! We went home the next day around 2pm.
Thank you to my neighbor, Tracy for watching the two boys all day, thank you to Ginger for taking over and bring them to the hospital to see their new brother, and Thank you to my wonderful Hubby for walking me through the whole labor and delivery. He was wonderful, right there the whole time... rubbing my back and counting down the contractions for me. Thank you!

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Congratulations, Nicole and Ket! So glad everything went well and you and baby are doing great. I can't wait to see pics!!

Melissa said...

Congratulations! So glad that you were able to have him early, and that all is well!!!

Steve and Julie said...

Congrats, Nicole and Ket! We are thrilled for you guys. We are expecting our third boy due July 1st - anytime now! I like the sound of that shot, Nicole, but my shortest labor was 12 hours. 2 hours may not cut it ;). The two best feelings are pushing and having them lay that little guy on your chest!!!! How exciting for your family.

Krystal said...

And a BIG THANKYOU to you for carrying Devon for nine months, and then delivering him to us! You did awesome! love you.