Saturday, January 13

Kasen has arrived...

So it has been a couple of days since I last wrote. I really wanted my laptop at the hospital so that I could write...But no Internet there. So here is the scoop... On Wednesday at 5:30am I got up and took a shower and got ready to go in. I really thought I would have to go in before my induction time. The day before, the doctor striped my membrane and that whole night I had good contractions. They were five minutes apart and hard. But around midnight they stopped. So what is one to do. We dropped of the kids at a friends house at about 6:30am and then headed to the hospital. The doctor came in at 7:25am and broke my water. He also checked me to see how far along I was. I was at 75% ephased and 2 1/2 centimeters dilated. That was an improvement from the day before. I started on pit at about 7:45 or so. Things were going fine, and could feel all the contractions and as time went on they got harder and harder. The Contractions were about three minutes apart. At 9:00am I decide to sit on a birthing ball, that really helped my back. At 9:15 Ket and the nurse talked me into getting an epidural. I felt like a wimp. I had only been doing this for about an hour... I can last longer then that. But I got one and at that time I was at a four. The contractions were coming a lot harder now. It took about a half an hour to get the epidural. So at 10:00am I told the nurse that I was feeling a lot of pressure down there. She said she would check me and so she did. I could tell that I was close by the way she checked me. But it took a while before she said anything to me. I asked how far along I was, she said she wanted a second person to look, she could not believe that I was a 9 1/2. The doctor called right then and she asked him to come down and check me too. Ket told the nurse that once I hit five I go fast. And that I would have the baby out in about half an hour. She didn't believe him. But that doctor came in the room at 10:15am and just started putting on all his gear. He wanted the cart ready and pulled the bed down. I thought he was just going to check me, nope, he got in front of me and told me I was ready and we were going to have this baby out in four minutes. I just stared at him. I was not ready to push, a little in shock to say the least. The nurse had to get help right then, and get everything ready. So the doctor sat in front of me and told me to push, I said are you serious, we are having this baby right now? He said, yea, don't you want it. (he has a dry sense of humor) I said ok, Superman lets go... So I pushed and In five pushes the baby was out. Less then four minutes. At 10:25am Kasen was born into our world. I only had to have two stitches. Dr. Lowder had me do some small pushes and Ket says that helped me to only have two stitches. He stretched me slowly. I was in a little bit of a shock. But it was wonderful.
Kasen is so cute. I thought my other two kids were ok looking, but Kasen has the perfect head and his face. How fun to find out we were having another boy. The nurse and Ket said it looked like a boy when the head came out and that is all you could see. At that point, Dr. Lowder told me to look down and I could see that head too. I think He told me to because I didn't believe I was doing anything when I pushed. I was not very interested in seeing just the head at that point. I thought he was ugly with all that stuff on him. I really didn't get a good look at him till they had given him a bath and then gave him to me. That is when I feel in love with our second son.
Dr. Lowder said I did a great job, and that he would check on me later that day to see how I was doing. The next thing that happened was a ton of bricks feel on my head and my head started to pound. I told the nurse that I had a really bad headache and asked if it was because we had delivered so fast. She said she didn't think so. Oh, it got worse with each second. The kids came to see us, about 10:40 or so. I was so happy to see them but could barely handle them being there. Come to find out when they did the epidural, they had put a small hole in my spinal fluid. This is what they call a spinal Headache. It happens to about 1% of the people that they give epidurals to. It is the worst headache I have ever had in my life. I could not sit up without holding up my head. The back of my neck, and front of my head were pounding. Nothing was helping. The lights and sounds made it worse. The doctors said I had to wait 48 hours before they could perform what they called the Blood Patch. They have found that there is a better chance of it taking if they wait 48 hours. So I had to wait. That was the worst two days I have ever had. I had to lay down most of the time, and when I ate, Ket had to feed me because I could not sit up far enough to see my food. I was on drugs for those two days just so I could tolerate it. I can not imagine what it would have been like if I didn't have the drugs. So those two days were a blur. But on Friday morning I went in at 9:40am and had the blood patch done. After words I had to wait for about two hours and then I could go home. So after two hours I felt so much better, I wanted to take a shower. I could not believe the change. We left the hospital that day around 5:00pm.

It was weird to be back at home, but I was very glad. Ket had to go to work that night at 11:00pm. So I had the whole night to myself. Kasen slept in the bed with me, every time I put him in the bassinet, he lasted about two minutes and then started to cry. So he ended up in my bed. I hope that things get settled down soon.
I talked to my kids today and they miss us. I really want them to come home on Sunday, but I still have a little of a headache and I can not imagine trying to take care of them too. So I will have to wait until Monday I think. They are having fun playing with Alac and Logan.
Boy, I sure am hungry and thirsty all the time. I think I have eaten at least four times today. I am glad I have some soup that is really good that I can just warm up. My Grandma called this morning and asked if I needed anything. At that time I had a big headache and needed the meds that I had taken in the hospital. Ket didn't have time to get the meds filled so she said she would do it for me. Then she cleaned my kitchen and vacuumed. Wow, that was so nice of her. Well I better be going, the babe is asleep. I am going to try and put him in the bassinet but I bet he will wake up within five minutes. He just misses me, right?. Bye for now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, so glad you are home. I have been checking your blog just awaiting your newest news. :) Sorry about the misspelling of Kassia's name. You know me, if I don't misspell something, it is a miracle. You kids have been good, and Alec and Logan have been having so much fun.