Thursday, March 29

Bed Wetting...

So Jesiah is over five now, he will be six in December and I can not remember a time that he went for more then three weeks without wetting his bed. I am very worried about this. And it has become a problem in the family. Kassia is wearing pull ups now and she has been dry almost every night. The first couple of nights she was wet and now she is dry and it has been amazing. But for Jesiah, he is starting to feel really bad about the whole thing. Kassia even says that she can stay dry and Jesiah can not. That hurts his feelings, I can tell. I am starting to feel bad about it too...What have I done wrong, why can he not hold his pee or just get up. Even when we wake him up he still will wet the bed sometimes. My mom says he is just lazy...I don't really buy that but what else could it be. I have made him get up and strip his bed, change his clothes...I have even given him a cold shower, He has had to sleep on the floor. I have tried diapers (pull ups), really tight plastic underwear...This has been a problem since he was three when he first was dry during the day. I just kept thinking that he would grow out of it. Maybe it is worse now because I am already getting up to feed the baby and now I have to get up an addtional time to change bedding, or wake him up.

Well I got on the Internet to find out about Bed Wetting...And there is nine million children in the world who have this problem. It is called Primary nocturnal enuresis, PNE. And it can last into Adult hood if not treated. It is heredity. So Jesiah, it is not just you. You got it from your Dad, he went through it too. But the good news is that there is help, and treatment.
Tomorrow we have an appointment with the Pediatrician for his five year old shots and physical.

I will and am already feel relief that there is a solutions. Any one else have this problem, you are not alone. Feel free to share...What treatment worked best for you?

4 comments:

LollyGirl said...

oh nicole--no worries!! I wet the bed until I was in the 4th grade and Micah was like in 2nd so we're pretty much doomed. Jaden turned 5 in Nov. (oh yeah, you know that) and has always worn pull-ups to bed. I've never stressed about it because I know it's just something he'll grow out of. hopefully sooner than later but really it just takes time. I went to all kinds of dr.'s and had all kind of weird treatments like sleeping on pad with an alarm but what finally fixed me is when I decided I'd just start holding my pee when I had to go for as long as I could. my bladder just wasn't strong enough to carry me through the night and I am such a heavy sleeper (like jaden) that I just wouldn't wake up. even now (unless I'm pregnant) I do not wake up to go to the bathroom at night. we've even tried getting jaden up before we go to bed but he still wets before morning. I know it's sad and it will get harder as they get older but I just try not to make a big deal about it. the only time I say anything is when he wants water at night and tell him he can't have more because he doesn't wake up to go potty. we've only had one issue during a sleep over with cousins where they told jaden he was weird because he wore a pull-up to bed. but it was a great opportunity for me to point out that everyone is just different. like one cousin wears glasses and one cousin gets bloody noses. jaden just wets the bed at night. they all understood and moved on without another word.

anyway, I'd be happy to hear what you find out because maybe there is more I could be doing. I know about some prescription med. that dehydrates them at night to prevent the bedwetting but I'll wait awhile before I resort to that.

GOOD LUCK!!! (sorry this is like a book).

Nicole said...

Thanks for letting me know that I am not alone. I too have that problem with Jesiah about drinking water at night. I tell him the same thing, but he says he promises he won't wet the bed, he even pinkie swears...What do you say to that? Anyway from the sound of it, they will just grow out of it. Did your parents make you feel bad about it? I am sure that I have made him feel bad, but now I will do make sure that I don't make him feel bad. Thanks for your commet, it makes me feel better.

Anonymous said...

Don't feel bad. I am the mom of three boys 7,4, and 1. I am going thru the same problem as you. Mt oldest, Adam, wets between 3 and 4 nighs a week. We have been working with him to stay dry now foramost 2 years without any diapers at night. Daniel at age four now is still in night diapers. i dont foresee any progress with himfor a while. He just turn 4 last month. and he was late at being day time dry. He was still in day time diapers last labor day and just started wearing big boy undies in December. Yes i would love to see them both be dry by mid May before my 4th one comes along on the 29th of May.
Just the thought of 3 in diapers at night is too much.
I guess mom's were always right when they use to say "wait till u grow up and have kids." Iwet my bed till third grade.

Nicole said...

three_boys_mom_06- congrats on the fourth one coming in may. You will have to let me know how it is with four kids. I know my little one (almost three months now) is not the last to come. Some say that after three there is not that much of a difference. Good Luck.