Tuesday, July 22

At Peace...

Well we have been expecting it for a while now...but when it really comes who is really ready. I am at a lose of words on how to express how much my Grandpa Dunn meant to me. I am hoping by blogging I will get it all out. So bear with me.
On Saturday Mom came over because Grandma was scared that the end was near. She didn't want to be alone. Mom stayed the night. The next day he took a turn for the worst. I got a call after Church that they really didn't know how much longer he was going to be with us. He had not woken up, and he was taken off of everything and just given meds to keep him comfortable. I went over after we ate dinner...I thought I was prepared to say Good Bye...I had done it before, but this time when I got there and went and kneeled next to the bed...holding his hand, it made it so real. Grandma had not left his side the entire day. She was talking softly to him. Told him I was there. I had a hard time at first, this was not the man I remember sitting in his chair just weeks before...talking to me and telling me stories. I took his lead and started telling him about my favorite times with him, on his motorcycle, feeling the wind around us. At the Bogus Basin house looking for Easter eggs with the other Grandkids. In his RV when we would meet them somewhere playing cards. On his lap as a little girl, watching the races with him on TV. I told him I loved him so much and I will miss him a lot, but I also knew it was time to go home. That he had suffered long enough.... Thank you for all the memories, and love! I sat there for a little bit and just held his hand, and talked with Grandma. Then I left the room, and waited around with my sisters, and the others that had come. About an Two hour later, he passed away with all his kids there (except for Vikki whose car had broken down) He was peaceful, and ready to go. When his kids came out of the room, the rest of us went in to say our last good byes...but for me it was different. He was not there anymore. It was just a body. So different in just fifteen minutes. His skin was already turning white, and he was cold. The only thing I kept thinking about and I told Grandma when I gave her a hug that he gets to see my little guy before I do and I am sure he is telling him a whole bunch of stories. We cried together and she said I was more then likely right. He was also seeing all those that had already passed on, like his parents and of course Andy.

The last couple of days have been a blur...I really think that I am ok, I got to say goodbye. The funereal will be on Monday. My mom has asked that we (my sisters and I) sing The Rose and Wind Beneath my Wings...those were some of Grandpa's favorite songs.

Yesterday I took dinner over to those that were still there. I asked Grandma if I could do a sign in book for her, for at the funereal. So I started it around 7pm and finished it last night at 2am. I orded it this morning and I am sure it will be here by Friday, or Monday morning at the latest. I am so glad that I can give a book like that. It helped me feel like I was doing something to help, she got excited and started going through the different pictures that she wanted in it. I thought at first it was to many decisions to make...but Mom thought it was good to give her something to do. Here are some pictures of My Grandpa Dunn. I love you!


6 comments:

steph said...

Nicole I am so sorry to hear about your grandpa. I love the thought that he is getting to visit with your little angel that will be making his presence known soon. Send my sympathy to your family. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you. I haven't seen or talked to you in a while. Love Steph

Unknown said...

Im sorry. I don't know if it is being pregnant or what but I am having a really hard time with my grandpas passing last week. I hope you are okay.

Dana and ohana said...

I am so sorry to hear about your grandpas passing. Our thoughts are with your whole family.

the blonde potato said...

Saying goodbye is always hard, even though we know it is only temporary - thank goodness! I am sorry to hear of your loss. You seem to be handling it very well. I hope the funeral went well.

Stephanie said...

I am sorry to hear about your Grandpa's passing. I hope you are doing okay and feeling some peace in knowing he's in a great place. That's so nice that you did a nice book for your Grandmother, she'll treasure it, I'm sure.

Amanda B. said...

So sorry that you lost your grandpa. That is always a hard thing. I hope the funeral went well for you and your family. You are sooo close to having your baby- it must make this all so much more difficult.