Sunday, January 25

Going back to school, What I thought we were done, no just begining!

Yes, we are going back to the student life... Ket and I were talking about what we were going to do, and about three or four years ago, he was thinking he was going to go back to school. When I met him he was pre-med and then he deiced to come to class with me and so he changed his major. Go figure. Well he has deiced to go back to school. We thought that he would have to wait to get into BSU, but after looking on line, he found that a new community college was just opening up and they were still taking students. So in one week he applied, registered got his transcripts, met with an advisor, bought his books, and figured out his classes. Whew! His first full week was last week. It has been a fast week...he told me that it would take four years to complete his program. What does he want to go into... He wants to be a Physicians Assistant. Right now he is working on his pre-reqs. All science and chemistry classes.

I am not sure what we are going to do for money, how we are going to pay for college, where we are going to live, if we have to move or not, or what is really going to happen. All I know for now is that it feels right. That Ket is doing the right thing in going back to school. That things will work out for us. As everyone has said, we will rise to the occasion. I am still looking for a job, even though I have no idea what I will do with my kids if I get one. Ket is gone pretty much all day. Tuesday and Thursday he is gone until 8pm, and the rest of the days he gets home around 6pm. Those are some long days at school. He is taking 13 hours or credits.

One day while he was a school, a reporter stoped him and asked him some questions. Well today in the Idaho statesmen he was in the paper. Here is the link to that article. Here is also a piece of it...

"KET KHOUNTHAM
LAID-OFF HOTEL MANAGER DECIDES TO PURSUE HIS FIRST DREAM: MEDICINE
At 13, Ket Khountham nearly died of liver failure after getting food poisoning from mushrooms.
With about a day left to live, he shot to the top of the list of liver transplant recipients. He was flown from Redding, Calif., to San Francisco for the operation. That experience led him to enroll in pre-medicine when he began pursuing a college degree several years ago.
But he switched majors and eventually became a hotel manager in Boise and Meridian.
Khountham is back at school now, following his first dream - nudged by the loss of his job in the hotel industry in November as the economy weakened.
"I'm going back to what I originally wanted to go into," said Khountham, now 31.
He doesn't qualify for student aid this year because his salary was too high last year. The house that he, his wife and four children live in will likely go on the market, and the family will move into an apartment, he said. College is being paid for on the credit card, he said.
But Khountham, who lives in Meridian, is glad the two-year school is there, that he could enroll so quickly and begin working on a new career as a physician's assistant.
Eventually, he expects to go to a four-year school - Boise State University or Idaho State University.
But the College of Western Idaho is here, and he can get prerequisite courses completed.
"It means a great deal to have this, especially to someone who got laid off," he said. "
So here we go again. Wish us luck. :)

7 comments:

Andersons said...

Ket's famous now! I love it. And I'll be so sad if you have to move out of the ward! :-(

The Brugger Bunch said...

Oh my friend, I am so excited for you, you have a plan!!! Hooray! You are in our thoughts and prayers, I pray that all will work out for your sweet family! We will be so sad to not have you as a member of our ward anymore. We sure love you guys!

Fritters said...

go for it guys! way to perservere!

steph said...

Nicole - that is so exciting! I know it will be hard... 4 kids and full time work and school for both of you. WOW! But, I am excited for you. What an exciting future/adventure!

JoAnna Anderson said...

You guys will come out on top...you'll do fine & you have the support of so many. Wishing you guys all the best to come in your new adventures!

Cristi said...

Ket-- can I get your autograph? :)
That's so awesome you guys! Alan's law program is 4 years, too. We live with my parents so we can get through it. Something will work out for you guys. YOU CAN DO IT!

Unknown said...

Ketsanaaaaaaa!!!!